Re: Cleaning out a gas tank question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cleaning out a gas tank question
From: "Brian St. Jacques" <brian@varatouch.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 13:16:32 -0700
Mick,

I just pulled and cleaned mine a few weeks ago. Actually I took it to a
radiator shop and had them clean it out. It turned out my tank was in
pretty bad condition, so it had to be coated which cost $140. A normal
thorough cleaning without coating would have run me $65. I would suggest
doing this if you are going to pull the tank. A radiator shop will do a
much better job of getting the dirt and flaky rust out.

Pulling the tank was pretty straight forward. Undo the hard lines at the
front of the tank and the filler nozzle first. The straps want to twist
when you loosen the tensioning bolts. I think I just hung on to them with
some channel locks. You should make sure the tank is empty otherwise it
might thump you on the chest and knock the wind out of you when you un do
it ; ). Good luck.

At 12:44 PM 8/3/2000, Mick T wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>   I'll be buying a 68 2000 within the next month, and the carbs have been
>completely re-worked by Ztherapy. It has been sitting for quite a while, so
>I wanted to take out the gas tank, and clean it out completely. Probably
>blow out some of the gas line also. Is there anything 'tricky' I need to
>know about taking the tank out? Anything special about cleaning it out? Just
>swish around some gas in it?
>
>-Mick-
>Eugene OR
>68 2000 (almost....)