Re: more electrical stuff

To: Roman Rist <ristguitars@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: more electrical stuff
From: T and E Corcoran <corcoran@bainbridgeisland.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 09:10:46 -0800
Roman Rist wrote:

> <SNIP>
>
> I've been tracing wires like mad
> thought maybe the cig lighter wire was pinched/shorting, causing
> excessive drain
> tested, with the battery disconnected, the blue/white wire that feeds
> the lighter and map light.
> between this wire and ground, the ohmmeter reads direct contact.
>
>  does this mean it is shorted to ground?
>
> TIA
> Roman
>
> PS. soon I'll be back on the registry, right now life has bitten me on
> the butt, real hard

Roman.
It sounds like you are measuring the lighter's hot lead to ground. I
would expect a low resistance if the lighter were
pushed in or the map light switched on because they are both very low
resistance loads. For troubleshooting purposes
you may wish to go around the car and unplug anything that is not needed
to run the motor and charging circuit and
see if you can duplicate the symptoms. Good engine and regulator ground?
Have someone watch the amp meter while
you gently wiggle various wires to see if it induced a change in the amp
meter indication at idle or at higher RPM's.
Good Luck,
Tim C