dropping things in the motor

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: dropping things in the motor
From: andycost@att.net
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:03:24 +0000
Somehow I dropped the spring that assists the tensioner
down inside the front cover.  I had a horrible time
getting it back out.  I had to pull the front pulley and
front cover.  The nut on pulley did not want to come off
with an impact wrench.  I finally jammed a prybar in the
teeth of the flywheel with one hand and muscled the nut
with a breaker bar with the other hand.  After picking
the motor stand and motor up off the ground a couple of
times I finally revised my technique by balancing on the
base of the engine stand during the process.  Pow! off
it came.  I used a big hammer to get the pulley off.  I
needed to replace it anyway because it was rubbing the
timing pointer.  Now all I have to do is clean
everything up and tap the stud holes one size larger.
The PO stripped the threads out of the stud holes on top
of the front cover.  Maybe I'll have this thing back
together in time for autocross season next year.

Andy

68 spl w/ U20 autocrosser
68 srl