Re: Stroked R16

To: Robert.Long@CSDInc.com
Subject: Re: Stroked R16
From: Steve Allen <dumpdude@pon.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 16:21:52 -0800
I have a stroked motor in my 67.5. First I started off with a five main
block. The machine shop that built it for me used an H20 crank and pistons.
The H20 crank is a drop in for the 1600 crank. The flywheel bolts up nicely
as well. I am not real sure what the compression ratio is. They put a 2
liter oil pump in for increased oil pressure. A mild ISKY cam was installed
along with new timing gears and chains. A 1600 aluminum head was fitted
with oversized Chevy intake/exhaust valves. The head was ported and
polished for smooth flow. Next a 1600 intake was hogged out ported and
polished to accept some refurbished ZTherapy 2 liter SUs. I ended up using
a ITG air filter housing A 1600 header was reworked a bit to improve flow
and then ceramic coated. I have a 2-1/4" exhaust system with a turbo
muffler. I used a 2 liter clutch, rebuilt 5 speed, and the stock rebuilt
1600 rear end. The car performs very well but since I have never driven a
real 2 liter I cannot compare the two. I do not notice any sluggish spots
running it through the gears. Trust me it does not run like a forklift. The
only BADROC run I have been on I had no trouble keeping up with the pack. I
am very pleased with my stroked 2 liter. I am running a Griffin aluminum
radiator for cooling. I also replaced the low amp stock alternator with a
60 amp single wire self exciting GM on the cool side. I have quite a few
pictures on my web site. I have not had it on a dyno yet either to check
performance. Maybe some day.

S Allen
67.5 2 liter stroker
66 1600