HELP! Need U-20 Block!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: HELP! Need U-20 Block!
From: JOHNSOF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 13:24:17 EDT
Bad news from the restoration front...we have found a large crack in the
bottom jackshaft side of #3 cylinder bore.  There has been some polishing
done around the crack, so between this and the interesting things done to the
cylinder head it's clearly an engine that was blown up sometime in the past
and reassembled just to sell it.

Does anybody have a good block THAT THEY DON'T NEED?  I have new Datsun
1st-over bearings, pistons, rings, etc. so I would love to find a block that
is standard.  I don't need anything but the bare block (although if it's
easier I can take the block apart), and as I'm alreay spending a ton
rebuilding the head I don't want a questionable block - I'm willing to bake
it out, magnaflux it, etc. etc. etc. and spend the money to machine it
properly, but I want a good starting point.

I asked the machinist about welding the crack, and of course welding cast
iron is difficult but doable (and expensive).  There's concern about the
crack propagating up to the water jacket.  Any opinions?

And yes, I will be talking to the vendors - I just thought I would check with
the list in case there's someone around who has one they absolutely don't
need.

I will be traveling on business to AZ next week and UT the following week, if
that matters to anyone.  I could conceivably go to CA and pick up a block if
I had to; of course I'd rather build a box and ship it, but...

Thanks you for any help or advice you might have.
Fred Johnson
'69 SRL (now with even more pieces that before!)
Wisconsin

By the way, the cylinder head is from a 67.5 (no air injectors) and the
bottom of the head was planed .020".  This undoubtedly created some binding
of the camshaft, so THEY PLANED OFF THE BOTTOMS OF THE CAM TOWERS TO MAKE IT
FLAT!  No wonder the timing chain was loose!  BEAT THAT FOR A G*$%)@M STUPID
PO STORY!