Re: HELP! Need U-20 Block!

To: <JOHNSOF@aol.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: HELP! Need U-20 Block!
From: "Helter Skelter" <helterskelter@home.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 23:37:24 -0700
well... depending on exactly where the crack is...

if the crack is in the cylinder itself... then it's an easy fix... have your
machine shop put a sleeve in it... it's easy to do... any  competent machine
shop that has the ability to bore cylinders can do it... and i am quite
positive that you can get a 'nylen' or 'la sleeve' liner for it... perhaps
not by application but by dimensions for sure.

this is can also be done to a block that has been overbored multiple times
to get it back to standard bore dimensions... not worth doing to your chevy
350 block... but on something such as a roadster block... that are getting
harder to come by... worth the effort

i have done this to many blocks and have had NO troubles with it... the
important thing is that it is done properly... for it to work properly and
not leak... actually... i have also done this to blocks that i sonic checked
and had thin cylinders... (less than .100 inch on thrust side)... just use a
.125 wall sleeve with a finished internal diameter the same as the bore i
wish to go with... bore the block to .002 inch less the outside diameter of
the sleeve (for press)... press it in... surface the deck... finish bore and
hone the cylinder... and... good as... if not better than new.

now... if the crack is elsewhere... depending on where... and how bad... it
is possible to "pin" it... using small tapered threaded pins... this works
well... but is often a real pain on large cracks... therefore... expensive
on larger cracks.

welding is the last thing i would attempt... cracks often times appear
elsewhere if not done correctly (using an oven... etc...)

so... it should not be any problem for a competent machine shop to fix.

hope this helps.
j.bostick