Gauge Voltage regulator

To: Tom Duffy <tomuo@pacbell.net>
Subject: Gauge Voltage regulator
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 16:05:01 -0700
It was written:
> On an electrical note, I have refitted the guage voltage regulator
> with a solid-state (electronic) regulator...
> I never had a working one to find out what the average output
> voltage is..

I believe the average is around 6 volts. The VR provides a square wave
output at about a 50% duty cycle alternating between zero and battery
voltage.

An interesting note is that the original bimetallic mechanism also acts
as a temperature compensator. The gauges work by bimetallic strips
as well; internal coils heat a metal strip and move the pointer. In colder
weather it takes more power to get the same movement. Thus, in colder
weather the mechanical regulator, itself being heat-sensitive, automatically
provides more power (longer 'on' time) when cold and less when hot.

At least, that's what I've read...

-- John