speedo woes

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: speedo woes
From: jrgbkelly@mindspring.com
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 11:48:08 -0400
Short version: Any suggestions on fixing/replacing the 160 mph speedometer in a
1968 2000? Are there places you can mail them to have them rebuilt, so the
speedo and odometer work? Or is a $400 replacement item the only route?

Long version: In anticipation of doing some time-speed-distance rallies in my
68 2000 I removed the speedometer to see if I could fix the odometer, which
hasnt worked in the five years Ive had the car. The speedometer has always
been a bit approximate, but did register 0 when the car wasnt moving. I
disconnected it and removed it, then took it apart, hoping there would be some
obvious problem. So far, so good, but I couldnt figure out how to get the
speedometer needle off so I could remove the black numeric panel and see the
odometers guts. My hamfisted attempts left me with a speedometer that now
registers a perpetual 40 mph. And I never did fix the odometer.

The speedo cable does rotate. When I drive with the cable propped up in the
yawning hole in the dash, I see that the square wire is spinning around. Also,
does anyone have any suggestions on what equipment I should get if I want to do
TSD rallies in the roadster? I dont want to spend a tremendous amount of
money. Im also not overly technically proficient (but then, you figured that
out). Are there relatively simple, bolt-on things that are more accurate than
the stock speedo/odo and that dont require an advanced degree to operate? (Im
hoping to rally with my young daughters.)

Thanks.

John Kelly
68 2000
kellyj@washpost.com