RE: Buick Conversion

To: "'griffincom'" <griffcom@ix.netcom.com>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Buick Conversion
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.Hall@msfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 15:53:21 -0500
Hey - Yep, in the process of this in the custom.  The 90 degree Buick 3.8
(231 CI) is the old 215 aluminum block V8 with two cylinders lopped off and
cast in cast iron - so heavier.  But it only weighs 40 pounds or so more
then and 2L.  They are in a bizzion Buicks from '77 to '95.  They made as
many of these as small block Chevys.  Get one from a rear driver so a bell
housing can match up.  The GN turbo used the same motor but with a radiused
crank journals.  I bought mine at a local junk yard for 100 bucks out of a
'83 and guaranteed rebuild able.  I am putting a world class T5 5 speed
trans behind it out of a Firebird.  I have test fit the motor in a Roadster
and it fits very well.  The steering rod will have to be modified, but not a
problem because I am going rack and pinion.  I also picked up a turbo outfit
from a '79 GN.  Hoping for 275 to 300 HP range.

Phil
SEROC