RE: Buick Conversion

To: "'Daniel Neuman'" <dneuman@hodge.sfsu.edu>, dgstoll@mint.net
Subject: RE: Buick Conversion
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.Hall@msfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 08:57:45 -0500
Daniel and all - The 3.8 is a V6.  The U20 is about 35 pounds heavier than
the R16.  Don't have my book in front of me to be sure.

Dropped the 3.8/T5 in the custom last night.  I need to come back about 3
more inches.  The funky extra mount welded to the cross member up front is
preventing the motor from dropping down.  The oil filter fitting is hitting
it.  Once the mount is removed the motor will drop the extra 1.5 inches, so
this may give me enough clearance at the bell housing/fire wall to get 3
inches back - will be close.  I did have to remove the speed sensor on the
trans to clear the tunnel.  I will drill a large hole in the tunnel and
install the sensor and have the wires come through a rubber grommet.  Very
pleased how it is fitting.  With the motor/trans in place the custom sits a
little higher than the '66, but this is without radiator, turbo,
accessories....

Hey Dave - repost the pictures of Millard's conversion if you can.  My
computer crashed last week and lost most of the C: drive.

Phil
SEROC