Re: GM alt hub-bub

To: aavery@rica.net
Subject: Re: GM alt hub-bub
From: "Stephen McCartney" <sgam@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 02:19:16 -0000
I've just replaced my alternator, about a month ago now.

It's a generic Bosch alternator normally used in Holdens - a friend of mine
who's an auto-electrician put it in for me.
I'm glad of that, he knew what he was doing, and it still took 3 hours!
(quite a bit of fiddling around getting the alignment right)
Now, we did it for one main reason - the old alternator died, and rather
than wait for it to be rebushed, I wanted the car running NOW!
Also, I have a pair of big 150W driving lights on the front of my baby,
which I intend to actually use for when I start competing in night rallies.
So the Bosch we put in is a 85amp unit, to cope with the lights and also any
other electrics needed to rally - cockpit computer, map lights, etc.

So far so good - haven't used the driving lights at all, and she regulates
fine.  But I'm unsure of how it was all done - one of the problems with
getting an expert to do things is that it limits the amount of learning you
get.  But that's a sacrifice I have to make, as "Ladybird" is my daily
transport.  Better to get it right, first time.

I'm off to a rally on the weekend (control official, not competing, yet),
and I imagine the lights will get a little use as I find my way on some back
roads.  I'll report any findings...

Cheers,

Steve
(1968 2000 Solex)