Re: Yosemite Valley--somewhat off topic

To: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>, Ldino21@aol.com
Subject: Re: Yosemite Valley--somewhat off topic
From: Alex Avery <aavery@rica.net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 15:39:10 -0400
Preserve how?  Most of Yosemite is completely inaccessible by car right now
anyway.  On the other hand, I've been to Denali National Park in Alaska (it
was Mt. McKinley Nat. Park, but they changed the name back to the "Native
American" name, Denali), where the only way into the park is on school
buses that leave every 30 minutes onto the only road in the park--an
80-mile-long gravel road.  BUT. . . because the buses are the only vehicles
on the road and everyone on the buses is well behaved, the animals act as
if the buses weren't even there! (you can leave the buses to go hiking and
camping, or to get on any bus heading back to the park's entrance
station--the full 160-mile round trip takes like 6-7 hours).  Grizzly bears
hang out and play with elk carcasses only 20-30 feet off the road.  We hung
out of the bus windows and got the most incredible bear photos.
Alex