Restoration Database, the continuing saga...

To: "Daniel Beatty" <nowroc@pacifier.com>,
Subject: Restoration Database, the continuing saga...
From: "Matt Silvey" <matt12@rcip.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 19:31:42 -0700
Hi all,

Well, I was able to get a hold of Microsoft Access Runtime.  This is a
standalone program that will allow the user to run a Microsoft Access 2000
database without going to the expense of buying Access.  It allows the user
to use all aspects of the database, but does not allow them to make changes
to the database itself.  In other words, you can enter parts, suppliers
etc., print reports and so on but you can't change the way reports look or
the way the screen appears.

There is one drawback (as always), the install program and all the assorted
MS stuff that goes with it is well over 130 megabytes.  Since my ISP only
gives me 20mb free on the server, this won't quite fit thus making it
impossible to make it available for download from my website.

However, I do have a CD burner and could put together a CD-Rom containing
Access Runtime (which includes license free distribution, no copyright
problems) and the database.  I could then mail it to those interested in
using it.  I would be willing to send this out free of charge (except for
postage and the whopping 50 cents for the CD; not trying to be cheap but if
100 people end up wanting this, I can't afford to send out that many CD's,
my wife would KILL me).

I now need to judge whether or not it is worth my time to put all this
together.

If you have a PC (sorry, not available for Macs) and would be interested in
the database, please email me and let me know.  I figure it would probably
cost each person about $1 +/- depending on postage cost.

There are a few people on the list who were able to get the database working
and from what they have told me, they like it.  If you are one of those
people and think it is either worthwhile or not, please send an email to the
list with your opinion so the others can gauge their interest.

Thanks,
Matt
'70 1600