Re: 66 amp alternator

To: SRAPL311@aol.com, tcost@vvm.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 66 amp alternator
From: "Richard Rudden" <sequoia12@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 13:56:54 -0700
I'd like to contribute my .02 cents worth.. Feel free to correct if you
think this is wrong... IMHO

Forget about the alternator for a moment.. Your battery is capable of
providing way more than 30 or 60 or 90 amps.. The starter draw alone can be
in the neighborhood of 100+ amps.. That is why it is isolated from the
accessory circuits when cranking. Each circuit is fused based upon it's draw
from the battery, it is the power source. Take any one of these <unfused>
and short it to ground and you have a major meltdown, with or without the
alternator. The alternators job is to replenish the battery, period. It
should be fused with a fusible link to just below it's rated output capacity
so that if a short condition develops in any circuit or the battery it self
while the engine is running you won't short the alternator output to ground.

Richard
'69 2000