reply: Those sounds... (too long)

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: reply: Those sounds... (too long)
From: Fergus OFarrell <FOFarrell@qtww.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 16:16:23 -0700
Diana,
as a new owner of a vintage masterpiece (aka vintage mystery) you will soon
learn some tricks to targeting these sounds. A slight swerve to tell if it
is right/left dependent, rest the hand on the shifter/dashboard to tell if
you can feel the noise thru the drivetrain, pulling up bits of carpet to see
if it is a body shake (exhaust hitting frame on body) or frame.  I used to
let the smell of my old VW define when I did my next tune-up, because I
found it was the best (earliest) indicator.  Only problem was, every time I
was on the freeway and there was one of those hot-tar roofing trucks nearby,
I'd run thru 4-6 chapters of 'it might be this' in the 10-15 seconds before
I spotted him. Like most have said, tighten the important stuff, check the
safety stuff, the rest you'll come to in time. Maybe try a good cleaning
too, then all the new drips will show up and prioritize your next project.
Good luck.  Oh, another trick, find an alley and drive real close to the
wall, you'll hear a whole new set of sounds.  Then turn around and listen to
the other side.  It'll help when a new one reveals itself.
Fergus O (60 2000 with a rattly passenger door that drives me nuts, new
rubber bumpers and everything)