Re: Cooling system problem

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cooling system problem
From: Tom Stockman <ftuck@frii.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 09:49:10 -0600 (MDT)
Matt, I had similar symptoms a few years ago, with some variations; I'm
crossing my fingers that this is not your problem.

I don't drive my 67.5 1600 over 4000 revs normally, mine did some coolant
loss out of the overflow while running & I believe normally lost some after
stopping; it consistently kept losing coolant with no oil contamination.

Turned out I had some cracks in the head between the cylinders & the water
passages (with about 250K+ on the car, yes the engine's been overhauled
twice).  The result was that it would suck coolant on the intake stroke,
and blow coolant out of the resevoir on the compression & firing stroke.

If you have any thought that this may be happening, the only way to test
is to have a good head shop do a "leak-down test".  Quality shops can do
this to a head you pull off the car, I believe they can also do this
with the engine intact; either one requires you to drop the car or head
off overnight.

This test will also show head gasket problems, if the gasket leaks between
a water passage & the cylinder--but the oil passages are OK--it'll give
the same symptoms, with the added problem that sucking water into the
chamber on the intake stroke will cause the aluminum head to erode rapidly
on firing; this may have been the cause of my head developing cracks, and
the head was quite interestingly deformed from erosion.

Good luck--as I said, I'm hoping this isn't what's up with your car.

Tom Stockman
ftuck@frii.com
Morrison CO
67.5 1600, 300K+