Installation of new oil pump

To: Datsun Roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Installation of new oil pump
From: Pamela Pepoy <gppepoy@cybertrails.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 19:12:23 -0700
A while back, I purchased a new 2000 oil pump for my 1600 stroker
project. I recently installed the new pump and had to shorten one of the
original oil pump bolts to fit under a shoulder on the new pump.  This
shoulder does not exist on the 1600 pump.  No big problem.  What has me
concerned is how the pump shaft fits in the 1600 engine block.  It seems
a tad too tight for my taste.  It turns, with some amount of pressure,
you can feel a strong resisence. The original pump and shaft turn very
easily in the block.  So....wise people.  What do you advise?  Any
similar experiences with this issue?  I still have the pan off so no big
problem to work on the new or old pump.
As always, many thanks.
Guy