memorial weekend run

To: "Autox" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: memorial weekend run
From: "Pam & Paul Bauman" <plhbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 19:52:13 -0700
Well, we just got back from a great day roadstering, which as we all know,
is at it's worst, much better than working anytime :)

Jon Frampton and Terry Turpin went with Pam and I on a cruise up to the top
of Ortega Highway. We left Jon's shop in Fountain Valley around 10:00 in the
morning and headed down PCH to Dana Point. From there it was up Ortega
Highway into the hills overlooking Lake Elsinore. The day started out misty
and cool, but by the time we reached the summit, it was sunny and nice, with
a cool breeze blowing.

The run was not without incident, however. When I tried to move my car to
better parking at the summit, it would not start! We found that a bolt
holding the throttle linkage to the front carb had fallen out. The coil
spring and none of the linkage had fallen off, so a search began to locate a
suitable replacement fastener. After pulling the carb, we discovered that
the long screw used in the strap on the fuel filler hose is the same
diameter and thread, though a little long. We used this to replace the
missing bolt and got home safely.

The beast seems to have a habit of shedding parts. We are grateful that it
chooses benign places to do so. If this part had popped out on the way up
the hill on a blind curve, or if the tire we lost on the way to Solvang had
come off at speed, these little adventures would no doubt have ended quite
differently. Thanks, old girl, you got us home again. And many thanks to Jon
and Terry for being there to lend a hand and provide welcome company for a
ride to remember.

I posted pics on Picturetrail under 'Roadster Runs', a
not-too-optimistically named album, I hope!

Paul Bauman
Westminster, CA
67 1600
http://www.PictureTrail.com/bauman311