Re: Fraud--- no it's CYA

To: slick1@mohaveaz.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fraud--- no it's CYA
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 13:24:45 EDT
In a message dated 5/27/01 9:32:23 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
slick1@mohaveaz.com writes:

> Well I have just installed my new Starter into my 83 Pontiac.  Luckily I am
> such a suspicious person.
> After purchasing the Starter and opening the box I found a piece of tape
> over the rear inspection cover that read: tampering with this seal voids
> warranty.
> That was enough information for me to lose complete trust in the rebuilder.

That sticker is an almost universal thing in the rebiult electric world. The
reason they put it on is to keep the IDIOTS out. eg: If you were the
manufacturer how would you like to have to replace ($$) an alternator that
billy-bob had ripped apart, shorted everything out and generally screwed up
by tinkering w/ the inside of it because he didn' bother to check the loose
fan belt on his car ???  Thats $$ outta their pocket. It's really just a
precaution on their part - a CYA thing.

Anyone who knows anything about the insides of their alt/starter is really in
the minority these days. Even the big rebuilder hire grunt labor off the
streets that don't quite understand WHY there should be grease there. It is
unfortunate that you got a potetially bad starter, but at least you had the
smarts to check it out.

Most retailers don't worrry to much if that sticker is broken- most will
warranty things anyway. God knows I've torn apart countless alternators to
"re-clock" them right there on the parts counter before selling them. The
warranty always went w/ even tho the sticker was not intact.

In conclusion: it's not reallly a scam, but a well ment precaution on the
mfgs part. Apparently this is just one that "slipped through the cracks"

.02

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
69 SRL311