RE: Turbo details

To: "Daniel Neuman" <dneuman@hodge.sfsu.edu>, <karl.payne@gm.com>
Subject: RE: Turbo details
From: "John Friederich" <jfried@anv.net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 18:11:04 -0700
Hello,

>> Engine:  Ford 2.3L  ('89 Merkur XR4Ti was donor)
>> Turbo: Garret T3, stock
>> Intercooler:  Blackstone frontmount
>> Boost: 9 pounds (for starters)
>> Exhaust: 3" downpipe via fenderwell
>> Trans: T5 from a V8 Mustang
>> Rear axle: Stock
>> Performance: no numbers yet

<       I think people were probably more excited by the fact that you had
turbo'd a stock engine. I know I was.

<Daniel

Well, unfortunately, there may be a time in the not too distant future when
parts for our 2L's make it too expensive to keep on the road (how much are
timing chain / tensioner kits now?)

>> I just got the car and drove it for a couple of days in Phoenix before I
had to
>> return to Mexico where I am working.
>       Did you buy the car already done or did you do the work yourself??

>> HP numbers are unknown but similar combos put out between 210 and 225
horses.
>> These motors can handle 20+ lbs of boost so there is plenty more where
that came
>> from.
>       Wow lots of power..

>> After driving it my first impression is it pulls like a bullet bike.  My
18 yr
>> old son says 4th gear rubber is easy.  Doggone kids... Anyway, can't wait
to get
>> my toy back in my full-time possesion.

>       I would definately put on some more serious rubber for that kind of
>power and never ever let the 18yr old drive the car.

Well, we all know you are a conservative old fuddy-duddy, though...

I'll try to keep the stock motor as long as possible, but...

-John F
Las Vegas
'69 2000 Solex