Re: iron head

To: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>, Christopher Coker
Subject: Re: iron head
From: Mike Harper <roadsterdude1600@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 14:32:42 -0700 (PDT)
FWIW, I just pulled the CI head off my '66 because I
thought a leaky gasket may be to blame for some
heating I was getting.  WRONG!  No leaking after 107k
miles without the head ever having been off.  What's
more, I took it to a good machine shop, had a bolt
extracted from the thermo housing (happened a long
time ago, I've lived with 2)  and asked him to polish
or resurface it if needed at all.  He said it needs
nothing.  perfectly straight, and leave it alone.
Pretty cool for an oldie, that BTW I ran really hot
last April.  I love my old heavy cast iron head.  Will
not argue the science of heat dissipation, but I know
what I like and feel good with.

Same for 3 -v- 5 main bearing crank.  I know 5 should
be better, but I have heard some reports that the back
bearing does not get oiled properly all the time, and
can cause wear quicker than in the 3 main setup.  Who
knows, just gives me justification to like what I've
got!

Mike Harper
'66 3 mail, iron head
Charleston SC