Re: starting problems - batt. maintainer - solar

To: L Jordan <ay107@lafn.org>
Subject: Re: starting problems - batt. maintainer - solar
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 17:06:01 -0500
Linda,

I've had very good luck with the RED TOP Optima brand
batties.   Usually you find them at Speed Shops, and
such. Thankfully  INTERSTATE carriers them under an
Interstate Label (Battery cleary states Optima on
the top of them).

Optima also has a "deep cycle" yellow top battery.
Deep cycle likes to have a steady current draw over
a longer period of time. Typically they are used for
electric trolling motors on fishing boats.

Optima is one of the few batteries that I can go out
and start the car after sitting for months. ;-) Only
catch is they run about $125 vs. $70 for a top quality
battery.  Alas, with the Texas summers being too HOT,
I am lucky if any battry will last longer than four
years in this heat (Optima is about five years old...
too soon to tell how long it will last).

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX