Victor Laury's 10 step roadster program (Long)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Victor Laury's 10 step roadster program (Long)
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 13:04:42 -0700
Hello All,

Well, I think I am up to step 5 or 6 in Victor's roadster program. I am
picking up an additional 1964 1500 donor car.

My own 64 1500 is a great car, but has become somewhat of a money pit as of
late. I have had to replace the shocks, drive shaft, battery, tires and now
it appears I have a bad rear wheel bearing that makes the car groan like a
tired old man anytime I get above 40 mph.

So when I see an add in the recylcer for a "beautiful 64 1500 that is
complete except for a missing block" I decide to check it out. Well, it
isn't TOTALLY complete, but it is close. Virtually rust free with the
exception of two small holes under the battery tray, Nice interior, third
seat, very nice new windshield and chrome. No side trim and has DATSUN
letters on the hood instead of the badge. New tires and all four 64 hubcaps
in very good shape. New brake lines and a correct early master brake
cylinder. Seats from a 65-67 in it in perfect condition. Only body damage is
on the rear panel where the tail light area is pushed in a little bit.

The P.O. initially wanted 2500.00 for it, but I talked him down to much less
than half that amount. I think I did well. My first inkling was to
canabalize what I needed for my driving 64 and then part it out, but I have
already heard from some people who say the car is too nice to do that to. I
will probably take the nice parts off of it and put them on my driver, and
then put together the car from the parts from my driver and sell it as is.
I'd only look to recoup what I paid and someone could get a very nice car
for cheap. Just give me some time to do the work!

First chance I get I will take some pics and post for those interested in
seeing it.

So another entry for the ever-growing registry. I don't know if I am ever
going to approach Carl Jaeger, Stan Chernoff, or Les Cannaday in the amounts
of cars owned, but it seems I have caught the disease!

Andrew Murphy
1967.5 2000 Solex
1964 1500 X2
SoCalROC