Re: Oil Testing Results and Consumer Reports

To: Roadster Listgroup <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Testing Results and Consumer Reports
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 23:19:57 -0600
Very interesting info posted on Consumer Reports, folks!!

My $.02: my 'scientific' study of C.R. claims, conclude they are full of
sh*t.

Case 1: Some yrs ago they rated the '88 Merc Sable as a top-notch, can't be
beat, reliable used car. So, I got one - biggest pile of cr*p I've ever
owned. Only had 38,000 miles on it. Between the dealer (friend), used car
warranty, and my pocket, we spent over $6,000 trying to keep it on the road
-- for 9 MONTHS! I got rid of it (for a Nissan Quest - now has 140,000 miles
on it (in spite of being 1/2 a Ford!), and probably haven't spent $3000 on
maintenance in 8 YEARS!).

Case 2: oil. I just don't believe it! Flat out B.S.. The only thing I can
figure is they had/have something against lube shops (C.R. sez 3,000 mile
changes are to keep lube shops in business), and the 'life' of a (American)
car is only 100,000 miles. In which case changes every 7,000 miles I suppose
is adequate. My best case against that is an '80 510 I had - the tappets
started rattling at 3,000 miles on the oil change as consistently as you
please. I didn't even have to check my mileage log. And I should've gone
another 4,000 miles? I don't think so. I sold it with 215,000 miles on
original motor/head. Still see it around town too!

There, I feel better now.
thank you.

dan neff    '69 2000
colorado springs, co