Re: SU Needle Selection

To: Fred Schroeder <roadster@texoma.net>,
Subject: Re: SU Needle Selection
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 18:52:42 -0500
>Fred Schroeder

> There is a great deal of discussion about needle selection for SU's.
> But, a lot of it appears to be guess work.  How does one know which of
> the twelve needle stations is being seen by the analyzer?  Other than
> idle and WOT, it could be anywhere.

Fred,

In Des Hammill's book on SUs he shows you how to make a couple of very light
weight rod type devices that are marked with the station numbers. You then
place these into the top of the carb and as the piston rises, you can see
where each is. Hopefully they should be the same as the RPMs increase and
the pistons rise.

I recently bought this book, along with Hammill's books on Webers/Dellortos
(sorry no Solex info) and Distributor based ignition systems. Not only does
this guy know his stuff, but the methodologies he outlines in setting these
devices up at invaluable.

Changing gears, so to speak - I probably shouldn't do this publicly, but
I've decided to set the goal of having the '73 up and running, AND driving
it down to Kerrville for the November weekend. It won't be pretty and may be
a bit uncomfortable, but I want to get it going, maybe even occasionally
drive it to the new gig in D/T Fort Worth. I know it's not a roadster, but
what the heck, those of you who know me in person know I'm a bit "different"
anyway.

Later, Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)