Re: Copper head gaskets

To: John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Subject: Re: Copper head gaskets
From: Pamela Pepoy <gppepoy@cybertrails.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 22:31:41 -0700
John,
I don't remembedr that post.  Mike has been trying to help me solve my head
gasket dilemma.  My stroker block has been "O" ringed.  The standard off the
shelf head gasket doesn't fit properly.

One suggestion was to contact NISMO.  I followed up on this suggestion and the
contact there said I needed a copper head gasket.  Problem is, as I understand
it, the copper head gasket is used for racing and doesn't do well for extended
periods.  I presume that a copper head gasket is ok if you are tearing down
your engine after every race.  My 1600 should scoot a tad faster than the
average 1600 but it isn't a full blown racer.  I want to drive it on the
street.  I have Solex carburation, a mid range cam, Venollia forged pistons,
The head has oversize valves.  The head and intake manifold has been ported,
polished and matched.  All internals (rods crank, etc) have been balanced
including the flywheel and the 2000 pressure plate. The weather is cooling off
(and so is my schedule) so I will be starting to work on my project again.
The head gasket still has me vexed.  Any suggestions are appreciated.
Many thanks,
Guy