RE: Speedo kaPut - FIXED.

To: Roadster Listgroup <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Speedo kaPut - FIXED.
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:01:26 -0600
Well THAT was educational...

  For all you shade tree mechanics out there (like me) - what a pain in the
@$$!!! Took at least 3 hrs just to disconnect speedo, unscrew tab, pull
pinion gear, fix and replace. It was stripped, but of greater concern is the
why: the pinion gear shaft was seized in the cylinder! Maybe a piece of grit
got in there and worked around until it sheared the metal? Anyway had to
grind the shear off the cylinder wall (I hope it's not a .001" tolerance
cyl wall, since all I had was a hobby Dremel grinder that would fit in
there!). Murphy's Law sez I'll be back there again...

Brian Hollands advised:
>Sometimes the cylinder (speedo pinion housing) is hard to get out and
>there's not much to hold onto..

THAT was an understatement!! I finally had to use a pipe wrench to get
that mother to move! Loads of fun with XL sized hands.

I might add one point no one mentioned: once you get the gear out, the
tranny fluid pours out all over the place..  :)

Anyway, thanks all AGAIN for the pointers, and datsunmike for the gear.

She's running incredibly sweet now, and after 2 months of battling, it
is a WONDERFUL feeling. Makes me appreciate all the more the pointers,
advice, assists, and parts coming from this listgroup as well as
WyCROCers (which wouldn't exist if we hadn't met in this list!!).

So, how far's that Mt.Palomar ride from here? :)

Oh yeah -- my carb/Grosejet problem: Scott Bruning/Ztherapy is sending
me a new pair, no charge.

Now that everything else is right, the EI distributor's merits come
to fore. WOW. Without a speedo, I now realize I've been speeding like a
maniac 'cause the cars been running so much smoother!

Dan Neff    '69 2000
Colorado Springs, CO
www.wycroc.org