Re: Speedo kaPut - FIXED.

To: "Patrick P. Castronovo" <slick1@mohaveaz.com>
Subject: Re: Speedo kaPut - FIXED.
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 23:50:51 -0600
I said:
> > It was stripped, but of greater concern is the
> > why: the pinion gear shaft was seized in the cylinder!

"Patrick P. Castronovo" suggested:
> Maybe the oil level was low, and it siezed from no lubrication.

Naw, at least not since I've owned it (4 yrs). Oil was topped -
gear/cylinder assembly was coated in oil when I pulled it out, and in
fact tranny oil didn't need to be topped even after I dribbled all
over the garage floor!

However, I AM concerned/suspicious that you might be on the right track;
perhaps something went wacky (the gear pushed tight against the cyl end?)
preventing oil from getting IN the cylinder. But wait! there's little
holes in the side of the cyl! Maybe they got plugged?! With a wisp of a
thought along those lines not quite coming to the forefront of my mind
(can't find it 1/2 the time anyway), I thoroughly cleaned the cylinder
(maybe/hopefully unplugged those lube holes?) and coated (axle)grease on
the shaft before inserting. We'll see how long this mickeymouse repair
lasts!

dan neff    '69 2000
Colorado Springs, CO
www.wycroc.org