Starter Question

To: Datsun Roadster <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starter Question
From: Mike Harper <roadsterdude1600@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 16:00:55 -0700 (PDT)
List,

Got "Jessie", my '66 1600 back together after having
the head off and doing numerous replacements and
improvements while she was down.  Prelubed, started,
plugged some coolant leaks, brought it to operating
temp, readjusted the valves and test drove.  Runs
great and the temp pegs a steady 190 in the 90+
Charleston muggy heat.  What more could I ask for?

Weeeeellll, one thing I replaced was the 35 year old
1600 starter, which I had ignorantly left in place
when I installed my header in 1985 or so, many years
BL (before list).  I had to beat the header up pretty
good to make everything fit, but amazingly the header
still is sound and I decided to reinstall it, but this
time, I replaced the old starter with a "new"
(rebuilt) 2000 starter that I have had in the box for
10 years or more. (I bought it from Ralley back when
they had their great "closeout sales" - that has been
awhile!!!)

Well, the starter certainly spins nicely, but only
intermittantly enguages the flywheel.  Am I possibly
mis-alligned, have a weak pinion spring, a weak
battery (though my 1600 starter never acted that way
when my bat was down), or what.  Thought I would
solicit opinions B4 I do something drastic - like the
dreaded "starter removal process".

If I need to chuck this one, I think I may investigate
datsunmike's suggestion to get a gear reduction
starter, but I will need to ask him exactly where one
can be found.  If I can salvage what I have, I'd love
to, however. Of course my old 1600 starter still works
after 35 years.....

Suggestions/opinions??

Mike Harper
'66 1600 (Jessie)
'68 2000 (Rodney) (coming soon, Thanks Tom)
Charleston SC
http://phonecard.yahoo.com/