Re: Who's on first?

To: Jeff Etheridge <maurell@bellsouth.net>,
Subject: Re: Who's on first?
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 18:39:49 -0500
Jeff,

Looks correct...
1342 counter clockwise firing order

Typically "A" is back where you label. Yet, I have TOO MANY
mechanics sets up the distributor 180 degrees off (very easy
to do when it has been apart).

So what you need to do is also check the front TIMING mark,
to see if the pointer is at TDC.  It is ALSO a good idea to
take off the vavle cover. Both intake and exhaust valves should
be compressed on cylinder #4 (which is at the top of the exhaust
stroke). Both valves closed on #1 to make sure that is really
TDC.

Once you have done the above (put the engine on TDC, and confirmed
#1 valves are both open), then...

pop off the distributor cap to see where the rotor is located.

HUMOR: After doing some work on the car, which included disassembling
the distributor to grease it, and other things... it would NOT start.
I make it a point of always rocking the car back and forth so the rotor
points to number #1 wire before pulling the cap... Took over an hour
(ahem) to discover I had LEFT the rotor on the bench. Sheesh, glad
no one was around to ruin my reputation on that one.  <grin>.

Cheers,

Tom Walter