Re: Super Kudos to Victor

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Super Kudos to Victor
From: "Paul" <9laser3@bright.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 06:31:40 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Daniel Beatty <daniel@nowroc.com>

> Where can I find a Victor-tool for me?

  OROC!  A couple of years ago, when I rebuilt the front suspension on my
1600, Chris Luers, Jim Sloan & Teddy Seidenfeld showed up with tools and
enthusiasm (and a hunger for hot cakes and maple syrup!) and we did
everything in two days.  Right now my car is down at Jim's, partially torn
down.  We started two weekends ago.  All I needed was a new front tranny
seal (Thanks to CDM for the seal kit!) and a couple of little things under
the hood to clean up.  Chris came up for the weekend to help and to work on
the race cars (Sloan Racing).  The motor came out with no problems.  Chris
handled the tranny seals like the pro he is.  Jim came through with a new
motor mount & bracket.  By Sunday morning the motor was back in place.
That's when the problems started showing up.   The intake and exhaust didn't
sit right on the head, the exhaust header had some holes in the lower welds,
the fan was ready to self destruct and the steering box was dry.
  This weekend we started back at it.  Jim took care of the intake and found
a good header in the barn.  A heat shield bolt had been broken off and that
got fixed.  Carb linkage needed a new part or two.  Teddy rolled in to my
place on Sunday morning.  March is maple syrup time here in Ohio so we
headed up to the hot cakes breakfast one of the local farms has each year.
>From there it was back down to Jim's.  Teddy dove head first under the dash
to find out why a couple of gauges quit working late last year.  While he
was under there he checked the clock (he got it running last year) and fixed
the heater control cable and valve so I can have heat again!  Jim and I tore
the steering pump apart to find that the lower seal was torn.  That will
have to be ordered.  Which means that next weekend, I'll be back at Jim's to
try and finish up and get my car out of his garage.  We did manage to get
one race motor torn down but Jim's racer is still outside.
  So, I consider myself very lucky to have found such a great group of
roadster owners and friends.  I know how you left coasters must appreciate
Victor!

  And I really need to thank two other OROC members, without whom, neither
gathering mentioned above could have happened; Cathy & Kathy!
  Cathy Sloan, Jim's better half, not only cooks for us when we work in the
garage, but all summer at the track.  And she turns a mean wrench too!  If
she isn't busy in the house, she show's up in the garage to help.
  And Kathy, my loving wife.  She allows me to fill our house with weekend
guests to work on my car.  She allows me to disappear for several weekends
in a row to work down at Jim's and then to crew at the track during the
summer.  Without her to share late night summer topless drives under the
stars, the roadster would not be as much fun.
  And without all of them and this list full of information, I'm afraid my
roadster would be another two line ad:  Datsun for sale, no time for
project!  Thanks to all!

Paul
OROC
Sloan Racing