Re: Really O/T Here's some "Humor" Great Photos

To: "Rob Simmons" <rsimmons2@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Really O/T Here's some "Humor" Great Photos
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 20:38:49 -0500
Thanks Rob.

For many years I lived on Roosevelt Island (it's between Manhattan and
Queens and has a Tram for it's direct commute to the "City")  and my kitchen
window overlooked the RI bridge on the East River. One summer night I was
looking out the window and saw a rather large sailing boat with an even
larger main mast trying to go up the wrong channel where the bridge was.
Although the bridge could open it rarely does as the western channel has no
bridge and all tall ships go through that channel.

The captain either was stupid or blind because by the time he saw the error
of his ways the current caught the boat and drifted it right into the
bridge. Wellll, the mast bent, bent a lot, but didn't break and like a bow
(as in arrow) flung the ship backwards like a shot when the mast overpowered
the current because of the potential energy in the mast. It flung him far
enough so he could turn the boat around and scamper away.

Quite amusing for me, not for the captain.

Mike