caveat emptor

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: caveat emptor
From: "Donna and Terry Cost" <tcost@hot.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 19:42:48 -0600
When the ancient Romans (or Rists) bought things, people would go around
shouting "Caveat Emptor!"  which in ancient Roman means "Let the buyer
beware!".  Every generation is taught this lesson over and over, and very
few learn it.  Unless there is a written contract, signed and notarized, a
"good faith" seller is not legally liable for omissions or exaggerations in
his sales pitch. That's why you only buy a car that is running, licensed,
and inspected.  Those are notarizable events. Buying a "fixer" or a "parts
included" car is not wise, unless you really, really want that particular
batch of rusted metal.  Buying a car with the promise of extra parts stored
somewhere is also not a wise thing to do.  If Greg wants the extra parts,
Jason must be found legally liable for producing them, which is unlikely,
and Jason must take successful legal action against Ross to produce those
parts, which is also unlikely.  Right and wrong, good and evil, ehtical and
unethical, are opinions, and will not hold up in a court of law.

By the way, since no one wanted to buy my modified 1967 SRL 000008 roadster,
I sold it to a man wanting to restore a Camaro.  No title, no inspection,
not running.  I gave him two extra sets of GM seats, and kept the roadster
data plate that I had duct taped to the inner fender.  Since the car looked
more like a Camaro than a Datsun, he was happy. (It actually was a Camaro,
but most of you were too smart to take the bait) I essentially sold the
buyer a batch of rusted metal with no warranty or guarantee, and he bought
it with no warranty or guarantee.

Andy and I are autocrossing this Sunday, March 17th, at Pennington Field in
the Dallas area.  He is running Tetanus in EP and I am running my BMW in
DSP.  All you North Texans come and visit, or if you're in the mood, come
run your roadster in the event.  We'll help with technical advice.  We'll be
there between 9:00 and 3:00 for sure.

Leisure Suit Terry