a differing opinion than I had on the seat question

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: a differing opinion than I had on the seat question
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:01:37 -0800
Okay, so most know I put Honda CRX seats in my roadster, and thought that
was great.  While they are not much taller than the stockers, the seat
cushion is a bit thicker (and I even measured and thought otherwise
beforehand), so you sit higher.  While that may not be a problem for most,
when they ergo-designed the roadster, my proportions were outside their
envelope.
So, now that I went to install a rollbar, it is totally incompatible with my
seat position.  When I slide back enough so my knees don't hit the dash, the
seatback must be so upright, because it hits the rollbar at the shoulder
level, that I know without trying that top up driving is impossible, by a
long shot.  So its' california, no whining here.  I would say that I would
try MR2 or Miata seats if I did it again.  BTW, when I drove an old
girlfriends' Miata with the top up, I always had to lean sideways on the
tunnel at stoplights to see when it turned green. (the stoplight, not her...
not that it never happened... oops, OT now)
One advantage to the CRX seats is that the headrest has a hole so I can pass
the Y-strap for the new, shiny, Diest 4-pts through it, then route it back
to the rollbar attach points. (4 pts were $45 per seat, at the hot rod swap
meet)
Contact me off list if you have dilapidated headrests, as my stock seats
were trashed, and had no headrests, but now I am rethinking refurnishing
them per the photo journal we've all seen (thanks goes to Andy Cost??).
Otherwise, I am figuring I'll fab a rollbar that sits on the package shelf,
with hidden jumper legs that go from the shelf backing plates to the frame
below.
Fergus O, 69 2000 (what year was the extra high windhield model?), HB, CA