Setting up the camshaft on the U20

To: <bhollan4@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Setting up the camshaft on the U20
From: "Todd Osborn" <trosborn@california.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 17:40:10 -0800
Brian,
Great write-up on setting up the U20 camshaft
(http://web.tampabay.rr.com/oilleak/camshaft_and_rockers.htm). One thing I
don't undstand though, you say to paint the rockers with Machinist blue, then
install the rocker - but set the lash before bluing and installing the arm.
How do I set the lash, [remove the rockers], blue them and then install the
rockers with out changeing the lash? I aways loosen the adjusters completely
to R&R the rockers, is there some way to set the lash and then pop the rocker
out? The reason I'm interested is I replaced the cam and all the rockers with
NOS parts from Rallye several years ago, but I have never been happy with the
valve train noise. I have adjusted the valves carefully many times but a
clattering noise remains. Thought I would use your technique to see if I can
uncover some kind of geometry problem. No indication of excessive wear on the
cam or rockers, so I don't think the cam is "falling" off the rockers. I also
plan on degreeing the cam, any tips on this. TIA.
Todd Osborn
San Jose, CA
2x '68 2L