Dizzy is dizzy and it runs, badly!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Dizzy is dizzy and it runs, badly!
From: Geegc@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 21:58:32 EST
Got the dizzy in straight this afternoon and it now turns, and the 20 year
old Allison XR 700  fires up a good spark.  (I learned that you can put in
the dizzy without the tang lining up on the drive gear -- if it can be done
wrong, I can do it!)  Then I fiddled with the timing and the car started, but
ran terribly.

The carbs are screwy.  I didn't mess with them during the cleaning, but for a
while neither piston would move up when the throttle was opened.  Then the
front carb started to work OK, but the back one is still reluctant to move
unless I help it with a finger in the air shaft (obscene image).  I'll keep
fooling with it, but wonder if it just needs some lubricant to get it going.
The needle is not binding.

The parts book shows a nylon packing washer below the spring, number 21 on
Figure 8.  Mine never had them, anyone else have them on their carbs?

GAry C
1966 1600
1968 2000