More U-20 timing gear news

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: More U-20 timing gear news
From: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:05:57 -0800
I spoke at length several months ago with Jamie Houseman of Houseman
Engineering (an auto racing firm) about U-20 timing components. He told me
that one of our
Vendors had approached him previously about manufacturing timing gear sets
for our cars on 1~10 batch arrangement, but decided it would not be
profitable. On the other hand, It would be comparable for the end user.

I don't know how many gear sets are in the hands of our vendors right at
this moment, but I would be very surprised if ANY were still available by
this time next year, or even six months from now. It is comforting to know
that we will have a replacement source when the present supply is gone. As
far as the other components go, Chains are chains and I don't think we will
have any problems there. Tensioners and guides will have to be re-faced
instead of disposed of. (dam! I shouldn't have thrown my old ones out!)

Houseman also told me that racers should take note that he does
dog-engagement conversions on all Nissan trannies - eliminating the NLA
Servo type syncros. Are Dog engagement boxes streetable?