Lower tensioner

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lower tensioner
From: "Rourke, Brian" <Brian.Rourke@compaq.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 08:55:28 +1100
Hi list,
        at last no more cam chain rattles. For the last 3-4 months I have
trying to track down a cam chain rattle. I finally decided to bite the bullet
and strip down the front of the engine and take a look. Turns out the PO had
installed a lower tensioner from another engine. It looks identical to the U20
tensioner but closer examination will reveal no one way valve in the body of
the tensioner and no oil hole in the foot. A couple of phone calls to our local
roadster expert had a new tensioner, chain and gaskets on their way. Total cost
$141.00. Real cheap insurance. I was in the fortunate position not to have to
pull the head as my timing chain cover has bolts in the top instead of studs. I
would recommend to anyone doing a engine reco to do the same thing. Saves a
heap of time and effort, not to mention the expence.

                        All the best all, Brian. 70 solex 2000.