Re: Brake line cleaning

To: "Allen Blackmon" <orangedawg@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Brake line cleaning
From: "Fred Schroeder" <roadster@texoma.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:11:27 -0600
Hi Allen,

Could be mine.  Proceed as follows:

Get a piece of small dia steel cable.  Bicycle brake cable will due.  Chuck
it in a variable speed drill and SLOWLY try to work it through the line.
(Take the line out
of the car.) Just like snaking a drain. Once it is through, clamp one end of
the cable securely, hold on to the other end and run the brake line back and
forth to scrub out as much as possible.  Fill the line with carb cleaner and
let is soak for a good while.  Then blow it out thoroughly with compressed
air.  No guarantees but it's worth a try.

If it is rust, I suggest that you make/buy a replacement for it.  Once it
has started rusting, nothing is going to keep it from continuing.  If it is
just gunked up, it should work OK. BTW, if you decide to make your own line,
make sure that you use a double flare.  Do NOT use a single flare.  Double
flare tools are available from any good tool supplier.

Best regards,

Fred Schroeder
Denison, TX
SRL311-13359