Re: Electrical Question

To: Alex Avery <aavery@rica.net>
Subject: Re: Electrical Question
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:40:27 -0600 (CST)
Alex,

Do you have a volt meter? If so, check the voltage on each of the wires on
the regulator. One should be solid 12V and the other should be pulsing
between 0V and 12V if the regulator is working (This is with the gauges
hooked up as a load).

If you don't have a volt meter get a dash lamp and attach a couple of
wires to it. Connect one wire to ground and touch the other lead to each
of the regulator's terminals. One should light continuously and the other
should pulse on and off if the regulator is working properly. The gauges
don't have to be connected to use the lamp to test the regulator.

One other test that should be done is to verify that the regulator is
grounded. If the case of the regulator is not connected electrically to
the dash it can cause problems with the gauges.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner