Re: Gas tanks

Subject: Re: Gas tanks
From: "Mark Sedlack" <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 20:06:12 -0500
As you may remember, back before the first of the year, I told the list that
I was going to investigate rotomolded fuel tanks for Roadsters.

Well, here is what I've learned:

Early vs late tank differ in the sender mounting area, as well as the late
have an additional return line ( info thanks to Sidney Raper and Gary Boone)

On the molding side of things, if I provide the mold we're looking at $50-60
per part if ordered at least 10 at a time.  Parts would be untrimmed,
meaning the holes for the sender, pickup, and return would have to be
drilled plus cutting the end off the neck. You' have to add in about $30-40
in AN bulkhead fittings for the pickup and return.

Not too bad so far....then we started looking at the tooling.  We
investitgated using an original tank as a starting point, splitting it and
adding a support frame at the parting line.  Sounded good, but when I took
the tank to the molder to discuss it, he had serious concerns that the guage
of the metal of the tank was too thin to prevent warpage during the cooling
phase ( basically a water bath followed by air followed again by water).  He
said he would attempt it if I wanted to do the fabricating, but he seriously
doubted the original tank would be the way to go.  So I stopped in at a
company the does prototype tools for my buddy, and after some discussion
they tossed out a price of $1,200-1500 for the tool - not a big investment,
but we'd be looking at approx. $200 each for the tanks with fitting if a
minimum of 15 were run, and I didn't get that many replies.

So I guess I'm gonna buy a fuel cell for our custom, and forget about
molding stock appearing tanks.  Besides, the time I'd spend on following the
project will be spent wrenching on the "R".

P.S.  Some new photos of motor/trans sitting in modified frame on the 1600
page

Mark Sedlack
OROC
Cuyahoga Falls OH