Re: OT- Easter 2002 (rather long)

To: "Mark Haverly" <mhaverly@citlink.net>, <SLBESQ@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: OT- Easter 2002 (rather long)
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 20:03:23 -0500
"The Jews have a great beginning, but refused to accept the fulfillment of
the prophecy's God gave them."

I was going to keep my mouth shut about religion and the like as I don't
feel this is the forum for religious discussion, but the above comment left
me no other choice.

I heard that bullshit when I was a kid in the 50s and early 60s and listened
to my Christian friends (especialy those attending parochial school) telling
me I couldn't go to heaven because I didn't believe in Jesus. It upset me
and made me scared as a little kid, I mean who wants to go to hell? I wanted
to go to heaven.

Thankfully in 1965 Pope John XXIII put an end to that controversy at least
for the "old" Christianity followers aka Catholicism when he released his
ecumenical report.

That's right , the Jews do not accept Jesus as the Messiah. Jesus died a
Jewish Rabbi and that's it as far as we are concerned. We don't deny your
beliefs and you can believe what you will. The men at the last supper were
his fellow Rabbis, a very religious conservative sect of Judaism. They lead
an ascetic life and studied the Old Testament in the hills surrounding
Jerusalem. It is believed that it was Jesus' group, although at a different
time,  who may have hid what is now known as the Dead Sea Scrolls, although
that's an hypothesis.

The followers who started believing Jesus was the Messiah were not born when
he was alive. It is estimated that John and the rest were born 70ACE and the
New Testament was written well after 100 ACE. The earliest known copy of the
New Testament is in Greek.

There is no historical proof of the New Testament although there is some
historical proof of the stories in the Old Testament as it dealt more with
what happened (events) rather than what was said. One man doesn't leave a
trail of evidence - usually.

I studied "Archeology and the Bible" at St John's University, as a matter of
fact they offered 3 courses in the subject and I took all of them.  They
were quite fascinating. The professor held a PhD in archeology and received
his degree at John Hopkins University (at the time the most eminent school
of archeology), and he studied with some of the greatest Biblical
Archeologists of his time. He admitted that there is no proof of the New
Testament. He is also a Priest. It was not a religious course but a critical
look at the bible as history.

I am not religious, I have friends of all faiths and races and I accept all
people as they are and "what" they are. I may not like everyone but I never
held it against anyone who was different than me.

I hope for peace and understanding and I hope one day we all achieve that no
matter who you belive in.

Mike