Re: Starter Ground

To: <Ldino21@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Starter Ground
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 08:13:30 -0600 (CST)
Lou,

 I want to clarify this wiring. If by "2 posts on the starter" you are
talking about the two large posts on the starter SOLENOID, the smaller,
cylindrical part on the top of the starter, then there is an error in your
discription. Indeed, the post farthest from the engine does connect to the
battery positive battery cable. The inner post does NOT connect to the
ground strap, but has a large wire on it that goes through the side of the
starter. The solenoid is a switch that turns on and off the starter motor.
If you put a ground wire to the switched side of the solenoid you would
short the battery to ground probably welding the contacts in the solenoid,
melt the smallest wire in the circuit and possibly blowing up the battery.

The starter ground wire should be connected to one of the bolts that hold
the starter to the engine only, any other bolt on the starter would either
be too small to take the current, or not at ground potential.

If you have a wire from the innermost post on the solenoid to ground
and your car starts fine, I suggest that you should inspect it carefully.
I suspect that the wire is either burned in half or is not making contact
on one end or the other. Save yourself a fire and remove the wire before
it chorts out!

If you are talking about 2 posts on something else, I don't understand
what you are refering to, please be more specific.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner