RE: Starter Ground

To: Roadster Listgroup <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Starter Ground
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:53:47 -0700
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 07:57 "Laury, Victor" wrote:
>Mark Wrote -
>>Hmm, my car didn't have a ground strap on the starter when I
>>did this operation.  Don't want to be short a ground strap, where
>>on the starter do you connect your wire to ground?
>
>Mark, if you don't have one, you need it. It really extends starter life. It
>runs from the bottom bolt of the starter to the frame. Turn your wheel al
>the way to the right and reach in. You find a 1/4 X NFT hole on the top of
>the frame.

  Same thing here (no ground strap on the starter). Could somebody
clarify the importance - especially how it extends starter life?
  If the battery neg cable is bolted to the block, and the starter is
bolted to the block, what's the frame got to do with the starter? Path
of least resistance would be thru the block (I DO have a ground strap
from block to frame where the smog pump used to be, and the alt is
grounded to frame and body. Volt and ohmmeter readings on frame/ground
points (like under the dash and in the trunk) don't suggest a problem
with it as is).

thanks,
dan neff     '69 2000
colorado springs,  co