Re: gauges

To: Datsun Sports <datsun_sports@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: gauges
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 13:10:33 -0500 (CDT)

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Datsun Sports wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have decided to replace all the gauges except the Speedo and teach with
> vdo series one gauges on my early 67. I plan on using egauges.com unless you
> know of a better source.
>
> I do have a few questions for the guys that have done this.

<snip>

> 2. I have done the 311s.org alternator modification. a few people have
> suggested that a voltmeter should be installed and not the old ammeter. has
> anyone done this? is it hard to wire up? I assume that it is wired in
> directly bypassing the wiring harness.

Disconnect the battery and remove the two heavy wires from the back of the
ammeter. They are 1/4" push on connectors. I suggest cutting these
connectors off and using a splice to connect the two wires together Tape
them real good and use a high quality crimp tool, not the $10 jobs from
auto parts houses.

The volt meter should connect from ground to the run connection on the
ignition switch. Wouldn't hurt to put a fuse in this lead, 1A is more than
enough.

> as you can see I am assuming allot! > > any help or suggestions appreciated.
>
> thx,
>
> mike

Peace,
Pat