Re: problem with distributor install

To: Datsun Sports <datsun_sports@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: problem with distributor install
From: Vicki Burrows <gregnvicki@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 15:56:49 -0700
Mike, I am a bit confused by your description of being able to turn the rotor
about 180 degrees.  If it is set in right, it should only rotate a small
amount.  Make sure that your distributor is actually engaging the gears in
stuff.  Remove the bolt that mounts the distributor to the case iron mount.
Lift up on the distributor a bit and spin the rotor around while you gently push
down on the distributor body.  When the rotor slots into the keyway on the gear,
the distributor body will then set down fully on the cast iron mount.  Now, the
rotor should not turn much.  If it still does, it could be that the rotor
itself  (the plastic part) is spinning on the shaft it mounts to... check that,
as it should only go on one way.  If that is ok, then take the rotor off again
and make sure that the screw that is inside the shaft is tight (often times it
is hard to see as grease is sometimes put in there).  If that is ok, then
something has probably come apart inside the distributor if your rotor is still
able to turn a lot.  Regarding spark, again, check all your connections.  See if
your points are openning or if they may have slipped and are staying closed all
the time (turn the engine over by hand or have someone crank the engine while
you look with the cap off).  If so, re-set them.  Now, since your timing is
probably messed up, see if you can get someone to crank the car while you rotate
the distributor abit.  Once it fires up and warms up, re-set the timing with a
timing light.  If you are still not getting spark, email me back and we will see
what we can do over a distance.
Greg Burrows