Re: off topic - the ford explorer

To: "Mike" <datsun_sports@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: off topic - the ford explorer
From: "Jimmy Claypool" <jimmy@differentials.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 15:12:05 -0700
Fords tire fiasco seems to be calmed down. I run a differential shop and I
base my recommendations on what vehicles we see in the shop.  Stay away from
Grand Cherokees unless you like $400 bearing jobs every 40,000 miles. We
don't see many Explorers here so that might be a good thing. I noticed on
Dateline when they did their report on the tire thing that Ford dealerships
were recommending owners to lower their tire pressure because the ride was
too rough. In my opinion that in itself could lead to the trouble they were
having.
For the money my wife and I bought a 91 Toyota Landcruiser.  New body style
and just as loaded. Very comfortable on long trips and will tow a Roadster
or 510 easily. I have a customer that turbocharged one so I am looking into
that. 93 and later Cruisers had the twin cam engine and a 60hp increase over
mine. And there is a supercharger available for it.

Just my biased opinion :-)
Jimmy