Re: horsepower vs. torque

To: Peter Long <Peter.Long@ecologic.ca>
Subject: Re: horsepower vs. torque
From: Thomas - Sweden <csp311@telia.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 23:18:38 +0200
You forgot about the difference in displacement.
It's a 1200 cc difference between Honda and
BMW (and 2 pistons). There's no substitute for
cubic inches, unless you have a turbocharger
or supercharger.

The S2000 is 87x84 mm bore & stroke = 1997 cc.
The Z3 M is (used to be) 86.4x91 mm bore & stroke
= 3201 cc. They are both high rpm. engines even if
the S2000 is extreme. Long stroke = more friction
(and heat) and short stroke = higher piston speed
(not piston stroke) at the same rpm. Both are critical
factors in engine design. The BMW M engine have max.
piston speed almost the same as Formula 1 engines.

Here's another one. Shorter connecting rods gives
more low rpm torque but higher friction (and heat).
Longer rods gives less low rpm torque but more power
and less friction at high rpm.

Thomas