Re: Problem #1 Charging

To: ian miller <datsun661600@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Problem #1 Charging
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 16:44:37 -0500 (CDT)
Ian,

With the way you have the alternator connected I believe that for the most
part everything is as it should be. The reason that your ammeter is
reading the way it is is that you relocated the connection from the
alternator to the battery. Before you connected the new alternator the
stud on the alternator connected to the white wire, which is connected to
one side of the ammeter. The opposite side of the ammeter connects to the
battery. Now the ammeter connects to the same side of the ammeter as the
battery. All the loads on the car are connected to the other side of the
ammeter. In the old configuration the only current that flowed through the
ammeter was what went to or from the battery because the loads were on the
same side of the ammeter as the alternator. Does this make sense?

One way to fix this problem is to connect the white wire that you taped
off to the stud on the back of the alternator. Leave the wire that goes
directly to the battery there also. The readings on the ammeter will show
a bit of charge or discharge, but won't have the range that it had before.
This is alright.

The one thing that concerns me is that you state that you read over 16V
between the alternator output and the engine block. This is not correct.
The reading should be the same as what you read across the battery, 13.6V.
I believe that you either have a bad engine ground strap, the strap is
missing, or some how your reading was in error. Give it another check.

If your recheck shows the same readings please let us know how the battery
is grounded. Is it conneted directly to the engine block, or to the body?
Is there a heavy wire between the engine and frame?

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 Texas Longhorns, #C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712 USA