Jahns piston measurement

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Jahns piston measurement
From: "Andy Cost" <andycost@att.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:51:47 -0500
I've got a set of Jahns pistons.  I don't know any history of them.  They
appear to have a taller height than the OEM units.  They have valve relifs cut
in the top.  I measured them at 3.4475 inches parallel to the pin and 3.4610
inches perpendicular to the pin.  Does anybody have information about these
pistons?  Are they oversize?  It is kind of strange that they are oval.  I
guess that is for unequal thermal expansion.  What size should I bore the
block to fit these pistons?  Will OEM piston rings work?

I think I spun a rod bearing at the southwest divisional autocross.  I haven't
taken the motor apart yet to see what the damage is.  I am weighing my options
as to how to rebuild.  I've got some 1600 pistons that I could machine, or use
the Jahns units.

Thanks,

Andy